We will give preference to those who have applied by Friday, June 2.
How You Will Make a Difference
The Director of Communications (DC) will execute a world-class communications plan for MII to remove animal-derived materials from the ecosystem. The DC will promote and enhance MII’s mission and brand reputation.
The DC will be responsible for working across the organization, including: newsletters; print publications; website; social media; and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing. Our main audiences are entrepreneurs; investors; fashion, automotive, and home goods brands; and scientists.
This is a vital role and is currently the only communications role at MII. The DC will work alongside the Chief Executive Officer to implement MII’s strategy and vision for the communications of the organization. The strategy of the department will be set by the CEO. The DC will serve as liaison between MII’s experts and external audiences, collaborating with each department to ensure successful messaging of MII’s programs. The position will ensure continuity throughout MII’s communications and provide communications assistance to the MII team as needed.
This opportunity could develop into a more strategic leadership role in time.
- Liaise between MII’s experts and external stakeholders, including the media.
- Work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies.
- Manage MII’s team of communications contractors and, when budget allows, identify, hire, and onboard new communications contractors.
- Oversee all external communications for MII, ensuring its message is consistent, engaging, and tailored to each unique audience.
- Manage all of the organization’s social media channels, including creating and scheduling content and building engagement.
Graphic Design and Website
- Oversee MII’s relationship with its contract graphic designers.
- Identify, direct, and oversee the graphic design needs for MII’s social media, website, events, reports, brochures, and all other content with deference given to the MII subject matter experts for their audiences. .
- Complete minor graphic design and website tasks not performed by contractors.
- Actively engage, cultivate, track, and manage media relationships and ensure coverage surrounding MII programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects and pitch press releases.
Writing and editing
- Identify, oversee, and contribute to the content development, production, publication, and dissemination of MII’s annual report, monthly newsletter, informational brochures, and thought leadership.
- Draft key content for the organization including talking points, press releases, articles, blogs, press releases, letters to the editor, website content, and other external communications.
- Aid in the preparation and review of presentations and speeches made by MII employees.
- In conjunction with the relevant team members, draft and edit blog posts pertaining to MII’s work and ensure they reach a growing audience.
- Work with the CEO and Project Manager to identify communications metrics we should track and how to track them, such as report downloads, website visits, media coverage, and number of audience members served.
Who We’re Looking For
We strongly encourage people of all races, ethnicities, ages, gender identities, orientations, origins, and abilities to apply. If you meet most of the above qualifications but not all of them, we encourage you to apply. There is no perfect candidate because everyone brings something different to the role, and our differences make us a stronger company.
- Extremely well organized in managing multiple communications channels and multiple internal and external audiences as well as tailoring information on those channels to reach the right audiences.
- Task oriented, being able to plan and predict communications calendars and tasks for the year with proven experience in project management and coordination of other team members and contractors.
- Skilled in writing, editing, and producing newsletters, press releases, reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories that achieve their target results.
- Creativity and critical thinking with regard to managing resources, prioritizing tasks, and developing innovative solutions.
- Ability to work in a startup environment characterized by rapid change, collaboration, uncertainty, and the need to stay flexible and anticipate future needs.
- Willingness to work in line with MII’s Values, Ethics, Norms, and Code of Conduct.
- A passion for MII’s mission.
- Track record of proactively identifying top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Experience leveraging relationships with partner organizations and fashion companies.
- Demonstrated success in advancing an organization’s mission and goals through executing a comprehensive strategic communications program.
- Knowledge of Google Suite, Asana, Slack, MailChimp, JotForm, WordPress, and/or MuckRack.
We are a fully remote team with employees and contractors across multiple states and countries. We are also a family friendly organization and offer flexible schedules and significant autonomy following a dedicated onboarding process.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
- Location: Remote; worldwide
- Benefits: Working from home, flexible working hours, generous holiday and vacation plans, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues. A health reimbursement account (HRA) for US-based employees.
- Salary: $73,500 – $89,250 in the contiguous U.S., commensurate with demonstrated skill level. Salary will be adjusted for other locations. Additional compensation may be provided for high cost of living locations.
The role will remain open for at least four weeks. At least four successful candidates will be moved to a written interview. We allow two weeks for this written exercise to be completed. Candidates receive $100 compensation upon submission of the written interview. Three candidates are then selected to interview with the hiring committee for no longer than two hours total. The process itself can take two months or more. Our interview process is structured and consistent across all candidates to minimize the impact of bias.
MII’s CEO, Nicole Rawling, will host a Q&A session about the Director of Communications role on Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 12.00pm Eastern / 9.00am Pacific. You may ask any position-related questions at this forum. The link for this session is here. If you are unable to attend, please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
We will give preference to those who have applied by Friday, June 2.
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you need an accommodation, please advise us at email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis but we are looking to ideally have someone in this position by early July.