How You Will Make a Difference
As MII’s Chief Development Officer (‘CDO’), you will be responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing our three primary fundraising programs: leadership giving (major gifts); an annual campaign; and corporate and foundation grant seeking. The CDO will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer and the Executive Team in all development and fundraising endeavors.
As Chief Development Officer, you will be responsible for securing the essential funds that power our work to transform the materials industry by developing and supporting the ecosystem for sustainable and animal-free replacements for leather, wool, silk, down, fur, and exotic skins by:
- Leading and implementing all aspects of MII’s fundraising programs and providing strategic direction to ensure MII’s continued robust growth.
- Building strong, meaningful, long term relationships with our leading individual donors and prospects, working closely with the Chief Executive Officer and our Leadership Team to maintain and expand support.
- Developing and executing creative strategies to expand our donor base, ensuring a robust prospect pipeline.
- Developing performance metrics and ensuring these are met.
- Crafting and presenting creative funding proposals, identifying new and unique opportunities for fundraising growth, and preparing compelling personalized progress reports.
- Working with communications to create compelling campaigns.
- Developing and overseeing the strategy and execution of donor events in collaboration with our event manager.
- Overseeing and conducting grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Ensuring timely and accurate report deliveries to funders and the Board of Directors.
- Overseeing the development budget and monitoring expenses.
- Identifying and supervising other development staff members and contractors.
- Managing and supporting the Development team employees and contractors.
Who We’re Looking For
The CDO must have:
- A proven track record of managing a multifaceted development program.
- Experience leading and motivating a team.
- A minimum of five (5) years of previous development or sales experience, preferably including two years in a major gifts officer capacity.
- A willingness to travel.
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills.
- A capacity to work independently and effectively under the pressure of deadlines.
- An upbeat, engaging personality that will attract new supporters to invest in our mission and the ability to consistently motivate current donors to maintain and increase their support.
- Comfort working remotely and in a growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for MII’s philosophy and mission.
- Understands and appreciates MII’s Values, Ethics, Norms, and Code of Conduct and is able to operate with these in mind.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team. We encourage candidates with most of the above to apply; we do not expect all candidates to fit this job description 100%.
The Fine Print
Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Benefits: Working from home, flexible working hours, flexible holiday and vacation plans, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues. Health reimbursement account and phone stipend for US employees.
Salary: $85,000 – $100,000 in the US, dependent on experience. Salary will be adjusted for international locations. Additional compensation may be provided for high cost of living locations.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Chief Development Officer.” Please also specify where you found this job description. Resumes and cover letters will be redacted to remove geography, gender, name, and the names of any educational institutions.
Rolling basis with preference for onboarding by end of 2022.